Today is about Women

Bloggers United for Human Rights is a community of bloggers dedicated to the principle that all human rights are inalienable. Not to be voted, or debated, or negotiated. Blog with us on 2/15 to support Women’s Reproductive Rights.

Today's post is not about sexy pictures and silly stories. Today is about a Women's Reproductive Rights. My rights, My daughters rights, My friends rights and the rights of the future women.

This is not about whether I want to have an abortion, it is about the right to make my own choices, for my body.

My cousin went to the doctor to have some hemorrhoids removed. The doctor didn't tell him he had to wait to decide. He didn't tell him he needed to have a sonogram to see it before the procedure. He didn't tell him he would have to sit through a presentation to decide whether to have them removed. He didn't tell him that he couldn't perform the procedure because it was illegal. He didn't tell him he would have to travel to another state or country for the procedure. He simply scheduled the procedure and the doctor performed it, because it was what they both decided was necessary of him.

I have two children and have never had an abortion but I have always said that if I chose to, for my own reasons, I definitely would without hesitation. I would also encourage my daughter or friend if that is what they wanted. I believe that I should have the last say in what procedures are done to my body and not someone from the government or church.

I believe a woman has a right to chose for herself. Here are some links of others who are fighting to preserve my right to chose, each in their own way. What are you going to do?

OBOS provides clear, truthful information about health, sexuality and reproduction from a feminist and consumer perspective. We vigorously advocate for women's health by challenging the institutions and systems that block women from full control over our bodies and devalue our lives.


 Our Silver Ribbon, Silver Ribbon campaign to trust women, for reproductive rights and justice


Reproductive Rights Prof Blog A Member of the Law Professor Blogs Network


NARAL Pro-Choice America  We are made up of pro-choice women and men across the United States. Together, we protect a woman's right to choose

Trust Women and Change the World The organization was formed to protect physicians – his colleagues – who are continuing on in his footsteps, and to work in states that have been neglected, to our detriment, by pro-woman organizations due to the overwhelming anti-choice environment within those states.


  

8 comments:

  1. Great post, butterfly. Thank you.

    Fondly, Sky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comparing a fetus to hemorrhoids is...well, I'm not quite sure what to say about that.

    Personally, I'm torn on this issue. I don't like to step on anyone's rights, so if a woman decides that abortion is her answer, then so be it. She has to deal with that choice, not me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! -- a wonderful post -- with so many wonderful resources -- thank you so much for sharing this with us!

    sfp

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a hot button topic. It cuts to the core of many people, and there aren't many people sitting on the fence. It seems that you are either for or against it, with no in-between.

    To me it's not about whether I think abortion is right or wrong. We all have our reasons for why we are for or against it. Yet, I don't think it should be up to me to tell a woman what is best for her. She has her own thoughts and reasons for doing what she feels is best. It should be her choice to decide. None of us are in her shoes and know what she is dealing with or facing, so someone on the sidelines shouldn't be able to arbitrarily make that decision for her based on their own personal belief.

    Of course, these are just my own personal beliefs and I guess I may be bestowing my views on you, but there they are anyway.

    My Vote - Let Her Choose!

    DV

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Butterfly - and thanks for the links to resources!!

    aisha

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank sbf, brilliant post.

    blossom x

    ReplyDelete